Wooden churches

08. Mikulášová (Bardejovské Kúpele)

The wooden Greek Catholic church of the Protection of the Theotokos, 1730

    The original wooden church was of unknown patronage, built in 1701. Presumably it was destroyed by fire in 1727. Consequently, the new church, also a wooden one, was finished in 1730 and dedicated to the Protection of the Theotokos. This church was transferred in 1931 to Bardejovské Kúpele, where it attracts the attention of all visitors to this very day.
    The rustic structure of the church is set on stone foundation and has three parts, three spaces, three towers and three crosses. The main tower is of columned structure. The other two have the shape of an onion. In the main tower is hangs one bell. The entrance to the church is on western side and leads into narthex.
    The Iconostasis consisted of five rows on five levels. The original iconostasis from 18th century is now displayed in Bardejov’s museum. The Iconostasis installed presently in the church is a copy done in 2005.
    The Iconostasis has two-winged royal doors, with six medallions – four Evangelists and two medallions of the Annunciation. Above them is Mandylion instead of the Last (Mystical) Supper. The first (main) row of icons consists of Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Theotokos (Hodigitria), Christ the Teacher, and the incorrect icon of the Dormition of the Theotokos (the icon of the Protection of the Theotokos should be properly placed there). The second row contains icons of the Feasts. The third row is the row of apostles with Christ the High Priest, Theotokos and Saint John the Baptist in the middle. The fourth row contains four medallions, always with a pair of prophets. In the middle is a three-bared cross. The fifth row, below the main row, consists of the icons of the King David, Offering of Isaac, Judith in the Tent of Holofernes, and Judith beheading Holofernes.
    In the sanctuary is at the holy altar placed an icon of the church feast – Protection of the Theotokos from the 18th century.
    The restoration of the exterior of the church was completed in 2006.

Contact:
Travel agency BYZANT
Hlavná 3, 080 01 Prešov
tel.: + 421 51 7562668
e-mail: info@drevenechramy.sk