Wooden churches

01. Frička

The wooden Greek Catholic church of St. Michael, 1829, NKP

    The Wooden filial church in Frička was built in 1829 on a smooth mound in the middle of the village. To this time belongs also the present shape of the church, although it consequently underwent several modifications in 1933 and 1971. It is dedicated to the St. Michael the Archangel.
    Regarding architecture, this is a church with three parts, three spaces, and two towers with three crosses.
The church is built on a stone foundation. The structure of the church is rustic, tower has columned structure.
    Dominant of the western side is the massive tower with a space for three bells, the oldest one being from 1697.
In the church is wooden iconostasis, separating the nave and the sanctuary, dated to 18th and 19th century.
    The Iconostasis has five rows. First (main) row consists of these icons: Holy Father Nicholas, Theotokos (Hodigitria), www.replicas-shop.me Christ the Teacher, patron feast icon of St. Michael the Archangel. In second row are icons of various feasts, divided unconventionally by the Veraicon. Next, the third row consists of icons of the apostles, where the icon of Christ the High Priest is in the middle. Fourth row of prophets consists of six icons, each with a pair of figures. The fifth row is located below the main icons. These four icons represent: St. Nicholas calming down the sea, Ss. Anthony and Theodosius, Three Holy Hierarchs, St. John the Baptist. Iconostasis is finished by the Crucifixion, with the figures of the Theotokos and St. John the Evangelist on the sides. Significant in this iconostasis are the richly carved royal doors with six medallions, depicting four Evangelists and scenes from the Annunciation. The space above both deaconal doors is filled with the icon of the Last (Mystical) Supper and Entombment. The ceiling paining in the sanctuary is from the 20th century.

Travel agency BYZANT
Hlavná 3, 080 01 Prešov
tel.: + 421 51 7562668
e-mail: info@drevenechramy.sk